PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA Cessna 180's in PNG
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2008, 03:25
Escondido99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cessna a/c used by TAA in PNG

Written by Bill Snr, the odd tidy-up by Bill Jnr.

I joined TAL based in Goroka in 59 and 60, was flying C170 VH GKA, and C180s GKB, GKC, GKD and GKE. GKA was a very old, round tail model. Late 59 only two pilots in Tal, Gerd Franks and myself.
Mid 60 TAA arrived and I was fortunate to get a seat Sept 60 and I started a 3 endorsement did several months of general flying the 3 based in Lae. Early in Nov 60 started an endorsement on the DHC3, the single engined Otter, Marinas Zuydam did the endorsement I then settled into Mon morn depart Lae, then via ports to MHA, did mostly Govt charters out of MHA or MNJ into the Southern or Western Highlands.
Fri, returned to Lae via ports, to start over again the next Mon.
Sept 61 I received an endorsement on TAAs first Cessna SBP, a 182, only did several charters in SBP as there were several DC3 F/O's based in Lae endorsed on SBP.
Dec 62 got an endorsement on Cessna 185, SBU.
It was a new A/C and could lift 1200lbs with seats etc removed on 2 hours fuel, There were several other 185s in PNG by this stage, mainly Mission and charter operaters, there were several incidents, with 185's with fuel vapourisation, but fortunatly the fuel pump had cooled enough before a forced landing was needed, I could not find any data or docs ref this problem. The 185 was fuel injected and the switch had a low and high position. I spoke to a mission pilot who claimed his US engineering base had advised him that the pump had a vapour purge system installed BUT only worked in the Low position. I gather later model 185's had purge in both hi and low switch position. Early June 63 I was tranfered to Brisbane, I had five years in PNG and I can sincerely say the flying was extremly challenging but the most rewarding in my flying career. Meet and married Lesley Mee who worked in TAAs top office Lae. We had one son (18Wheeler) who is now a 747 captain.
In 1960 I sat for and got a LAME Lic on engines.

Emtasol 99.