PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine offs to the ground
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2008, 23:46
Tailboom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm from South Wales and I teach students to go all the way to the ground, it absolutely amazes me pplh's who have a licence and havn't been down to the ground in a full needle split engine at idle touch down they are always amazed !!! whether it be in a R22, R44 or what ever.

I had an engine stop in a 206 last year at 1500ft with 5 of us on board and succesfully carried out an eol at 40 knts to a runway with no dramas.

I definatley think all students should be at least shown what happens when you touch down with the engine at idle.

From my point of view I "warm up" to this event first namely by carrying out a number of run on landings to the area I intend to use, this verifies that the grass or what ever, is suitable then a number of throttle chops in the hover and finally engine failures in a hover taxi, all this before an actual engine off .

Most of the people I've flown with think they have been to the ground but when you question them after the event nearly all of them admit the instructor did'nt quite split the needles and did a semi power recovery run on landing !!!