PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jersey, danger areas and crossing channel
Old 5th Aug 2008, 23:11
Widger

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Englishal,

D026 is run by the Army, when they are shut, they pass management of the areas to the Navy, who often use the airspace over the sea. The Duty Ops Officer has full details of all activity going on in the areas and this info is passed to the DACS, either Plymouth Mil (on hols) or London Info. So London FIS should have the up to date info as well.

D031 is indeed active in accordance with the AIP as unlike D036, it has not been de-activated for the August recess. The RN could, at any time, plan activity in any of the other areas, within the AIP times and heights as the rest of the Navy is still working.

One other issue to confuse you is, that when PLymouth Mil are not on holiday, they allow Bournemouth to give aircraft transit of D031 when there is no hazardous activity going on. This is done by a telephone call. When Plymouth Mil are on hols, the call is not made and therefore Bournemouth assume the area is active.

Until 1 Sep, when PLymouth Mil return, the Navy Duty Ops Officer is the DAAIS (planning info) and London FIS are the DACS (approval to cross).

I know it is complicated but, this is what happens when you try and be helpful and apply Flexible Use of Airspace....if it was down to me, I would just keep everyone out all of the time Get orf my land!...........that was a joke by the way before I get flamed!