PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Purpose of Accident Investigations- your opinion
Old 18th Mar 2001, 15:48
Cosmo

Thanks for your reply.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">It is beneficial if an accident investigation highlights how a crew were led to making a mistake - to highlight the Human Factors, the Environmental Capture etc.</font>
I concur. The way I've understood the article that I quoted above, is that safety was realised as being of importance. This way someone is given the task of finding out what happened. However, since accident reports can be used in criminal trials, for example, doesn't the possibility of someone making an out of context interpretation of a probable cause exists?. Take pilot error as one.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">But if an accident is, quite simply, the result of gross negligence on the part of the crew, then is there any reason why they shold not be subject to the response of the law?</font>
In my opinion, no. On the other hand it seems that pilots tend to protest vigorously if someone is detained after an accident or incident on the suspicion of criminal negligence. Why?

Cosmo

edited a spelling error

[This message has been edited by Cosmo (edited 18 March 2001).]