PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - List your childhood model collection
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2008, 18:57
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
Redders, are you personal friends with Father Christmas, or what?

I did indeed have a Cox C/L model (and only one) - in fact it was a Christmas present. It was a PT-19 with Babe-Bee .049 glowplug engine. Complete with spring starter.

Its maiden flight wasn't too successful and, like many little lads of that period, the design flaw of the PT-19 resulted in my .049 suffering a badly bent needle valve. Fortunately my father, being a chartered engineer, was able to fix that and also to design a modification to avoid it happening again - a slot cut out of the fuselage - and the PT-19 was soon flying again. Including inside a hangar at Merryfield.

Cox reed valve engines were nothing like as powerful as the Tee Dee .049 I later owned. In fact as an admirer of L M Cox engineering, I now have a collection of 'BNIB' Tee Dees with only 2 to go for the full set. I have the ..010, .020, .049, .051, .05R/C, .09, .10R/C and Special .15 Mk 2. So just the Tee Dee .15 and Special .15 still to find.

At least we all had childhoods that involved being somewhat creative, and maybe educational.
How very true!