PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knowing what you know now about this game, wud you have done it all in the 1st plce?
Old 5th Aug 2008, 13:48
jaimz1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Redsnail,

I completely agree, you have to be exceptionally careful and understand all that could be thrown at you.

The medical, fortunately I have insurance for that (It's actually part of the agreement with CTC and you cannot do the course without it) I've also seen at first hand how it feels to have the medical taken away from you, my gf's Dad was recently mega ill and had his licence revoked and he's a jumbo Captain for BA, fortunately he has got it back.

But yes as I write this there is a chap opposite me, fully CPL IR'd up from Oxford who cannot find a job. I am fully aware what I am getting into and I think anyone who gets into this sector should be fully aware. Spending the best part of 100k and paying back best part of 140k is not something to do lightly.

But I would also say that there comes a point when you have to go for it, not neccessarily me, but anyone who wants to get into it. Surely there comes a point when the talking and dreaming has to stop and you have to put what you want to do into practice? Then when you get the licence, the road starts again, but then what? stop? wait for a job? Hell no, you network, get advice, apply like crazy, bottom kiss, do what ever it takes to get your foot on that ladder.

It may take a miraculous 2 years, it may take 10, but I think I'd rather give it a go than sit in an office at 35 going what if?

But as stated redsnail, its an eyes wide open situation! What's that saying, 'aim for the best, but plan for the worst'? Think it's something like that!