PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IRELAND WEST AIRPORT KNOCK
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2008, 13:23
sawtooth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote "Are you saying that simply because a PSO route gets funds it automatically becomes viable?"

Not at all, I have no interest supporting any individual PSO. There's a lot of the criticism of the PSO system in the media at the moment which seems to miss the whole point of the PSO. I simply pointed out that the purpose of Public Service Obligation flights is to provide a public service where it would not be commercially viable otherwise. I'ts a subsidised service, like rail or buses profit is not it's key measure. The public service is presumably providing feeder services between the capital / main hub on the island and the regions airports.

Now if the public service is questionable that criticism should be directed towards government policy, or lack of. I don't know why MOL is propping up the PSO system he gives out about so much, I can only assume he want's to damage his competition. Of course it would be better served with a smaller aircraft, I doubt the government would be so daft as to agree to his plan, but this is a commercial tender and comes down to the best bid at the end of the day.

IWHAK

As a member of the western business community my interest is in promoting good air access to the region. This is the airports forum on a public airline news website, so when I find relevant news I pass it on.

Last edited by sawtooth; 5th Aug 2008 at 13:51.