PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IRELAND WEST AIRPORT KNOCK
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2008, 12:29
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But to dismiss a PSO service because it is not commercially profitable is ridiculous given the founding premise of the hundreds of European PSO schemes it that they provide a public service on routes that would not otherwise be economically viable
SAWTOOTH
Are you saying that simply because a PSO route gets funds it automatically becomes viable?

Why on earth would Ryanair put a daily 738 onto a route that may achieve at most 50 pax each way, one which wont allow for Business passengers? (ie timings as suggested).

Ryanair is a commercial organisation and must deliver shareholder return, and they should make decisions on a commerical basis.

If it was a smaller aircraft with realistic operating economics for the route that would make perfect sense. I would also suggest that Aer Arann would be after the route if it delivered a return, I would also suggest that it does not.

Some of my colleagues who have used the flight say that there are mostly fewer than 15 pax, but at a level of 25-30 as you suggest I would take it Aer Arann could make it work given the fares and the grant?