PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Court Line
Thread: Court Line
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2008, 12:14
kala87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember a night flight in a very cramped seat in one of Court's green 1-11's from LTN to Athens. Due to favourable tailwinds, we overflew the planned fuel stop in Brindisi and continued to Athens. Too long a sector in a 1-11, there's only so long you can put up with a puce-green painted cabin without feeling nauseous! The return flight was in a BEA Airtours 707 to LGW, newly-acquired from BOAC, very comfortable and stately compared to the 1-11.

Court must have got extremely good utilisation out of the 1-11's. I remember in the peak summer season they had 4 waves of flights, each departing LTN at around 0800, 1400, 2000 and 0200. This was possible as most flights in those days were to the closer Spanish and Italian airports (Palma, Ibiza, Barcelona, Gerona, Rimini etc). As a previous respondent noted, there would 4 or so departures to Palma or Gerona ta around the same time, one after the other. Living in north Harpenden at the time, the night departures by the noisy 1-11's certainly rattled the window panes! Not my favourite aircraft to fly in I'm afraid, and they always seemed a bit underpowered to me, often using most of the LTN runway on departure on a warm day.