PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IRELAND WEST AIRPORT KNOCK
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2008, 10:34
sawtooth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOL just wants to take the PSO money so no one else benefits, he has stated many times he is against PSO, as he is against most aviation spending that doesn't go to his bottom line.

From my own anecdotal experience of the Dublin route the flight usually had around 25-30 pax morning and evening. The main users are the business community going to Dublin meetings or catching onward connections from DUB. Others use it to access medical services or leisure. But to dismiss a PSO service because it is not commercially profitable is ridiculous given the founding premise of the hundreds of European PSO schemes it that they provide a public service on routes that would not otherwise be economically viable. Driving from the North West still takes 3 hrs and the earliest trains do not arrive into Dublin before 10.30, were better road and rail links available it would not be needed. Many have said GWY and KIR would be commercially viable today, so should they be the be removed from PSO?

I can't comment on the airports relationship with FR (I have no connection with them), there is a lot of history there as NOC-STN is one of their longest running routes and high yield from what I hear. But the airports management are very proactive and innovative in providing route support. Despite what MOL says about the regional airports future it also suits FR to serve the UK regions from NOC and take market share from RE/WW.

Last edited by sawtooth; 5th Aug 2008 at 10:50.