PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spy Plane intelligence 'lacking' - BBC
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2008, 09:56
andyy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SK, Glad you like my humour. But there used to be some truth in it, IMHO. Having spent 20 yrs in the RN & 6 in Joint Int jobs I am aware of the platforms you mention but its the PWO master race that often appears to be ignorant of them and their contribution to the Joint ops and int picture. Its a cultural thing and being concerned about ISTAR seems to mean that they can't shout "Zippo 3" in the Ops room. ISTAR is something that "other people do". Even PWO(Cs) were happy to talk Comms but not Int, especially in terms of analysis. But I admit that I am not current now! And if you are suggesting things have changed since I wrote my staff papers in PJHQ then excellent; I am delighted that the RN has discovered "jointery" and its responsibilities to the Int world. You'll be telling me that the RN is intending to make a meaningful contribution to the all source analysis world next. As the Defence Select Committee observed, collection of data is one thing analysis to gain meaningful operational intelligence is another.