PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Change from Airlines to Bizjets
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2008, 09:25
PPRuNeUser0215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few years ago some of them (not all) looked down on us but the most hypocrite thing is that those same people are now applying for GA jobs. And you say now we have to hire them
So "some" airline pilots looked down on you therefore none of them must be hired. Makes sense
On the other hand, I do not say you have to hire them either. In my outfit we try to hire the right pilot and that's why all backgrounds are welcome to the interviews and that's also why, we find all sorts later on the line. But it is important to try to screen properly in an unbiased manner.

while in the meantime a wannabe is working his guts to get his first job?????????????
I wasn't really comparing a wannabe and an experienced guy. But it is not true to assume that ALL airline pilots have a walk in the park to get on a 737. Many have done rubbish jobs before getting a flying job.

Now you can all find me sarcastic or narrow minded but i'm glad that some other companies share my view and only hire people who are really honestly interested in this job.
So by saying NO to all airline pilots, these companies really know they are turning down pilots who are definitely not interested in GA. Magic powers ? Cool, I want one of those.
On the other hand, I prefer our approach. No prejudice on the background, let's see if the guy can fly, can fit in and has the potential to be a good, safe, LHS operator (once he has done his time in the RHS). Kind of fair I think but like you said, and quite rightly, what makes us fit in our respective companies is how much we share values with your employer. I knew for example that Easyjet wasn't for me. I saw it at the interview (which I failed a few years ago now), just the way they saw I would not fit in their organisation. No bitterness I assure you, it was better for the both of us .

So my present employer doesn't discriminate at the interview or on the line and that suits me fine. I share this value. You, you share your employer's one and like me you are happy with it.

Come on, I'v learned flying from former military pilots.
I was refering to skills in general. Not just stick and rudder. There is a long list of them and very few of us excel in all of them. As a matter of fact, stick and rudder tends to be a less important one in the modern commercial environment (please don't say I said it was unimportant). For example Long range experience can be useful when you will be doing your first (GA) North Atlantic Crossing... Skills I had in mind are of a very wide variety, just like our pilot's background .

Better experience???? Hell yeah flying from A to B and back. Great experience,indeed.
Although I do respect your opinion, I have to accept that once again you are generalising and by (no fault of your own, you have not do the job of an airline pilot), only see one small part of the airline job. True A to B to A is the norm but the big toys require a different philosophy when operating them and that's where the work needs to be done. As for the experience, I was lucky enough to fly a 767 in the Indonesian weather or the hot days in Saudia and I thought it was great experience... I actually even learnt that in spite of flying from A to B to C then A, there was a lot of room to FCUK up. So now in my GA days, I try to remember that and when I seem to recognise a symptom of a potentially deteriorating situation (based on me A to B experience), I try to steer away from trouble. Maybe I didn't learn that much but just a little is better than nothing.

I have come to accept that the industry offers a great deal of different jobs, work locations, destinations, airplanes, people, styles, rewards, bad times, good times etc... But that's what's make me tick hence why I do respect your opinion but do not share it. It ain't a bad thing either.