PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pending clearance??
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2008, 08:56
Delay Approved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it a little concerning that so many people are so flippant about correct RT. Standard RT is there for the sole reason of safety and as Gettin' There said there are numerous examples of where seemingly innocent non-standard RT has contributed an accident. Here are two examples:
1. Tenerife - One of the major contributing factors identified was the incorrect RT used by both the pilot ("We're at take-off") and the controller ("OK").
2. Flying Tigers 747 crash 1990 - Controller instructs the pilot to "descent two four zero zero" (meaning 2400ft) however pilot interprets as "descend to four zero zero" (400ft) and subsequently impacts a hill. The controllers use of non-standard RT by omitting a simple word like 'to' caused 4 people to die.
I don't get every call right (everyone has an occasional brain fart) but nor do I deliberately diverge from the standard RT.

in Darwin they wanted you to be able to see the airstrip before calling visual
Nev - I don't know who or what lead you to believe this but as a current DN controller I can assure you that this is not the case.