PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA requires memory item briefing prior to flight
Old 5th Aug 2008, 08:22
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ridiculous!

Why not just brief ALL of the memory items? What's so special about pressurization? What about engine fire drills or go-around procedures? Must I brief the procedure for a wake turbulence or windshear encounter too, or is it okay to just rely on the checklist? While we're at it, we might as well recite the entire limitations section of the AFM. Maybe conduct a full checkride prior to each flight day. Where does it stop?

Maybe it would be a better idea to concentrate our energies and attention to the task at hand. You know, departure particulars, special procedures, where we'll go if we have a problem, that kind of thing... Let's leave the memory items to our training and perhaps the occasional self-study session.

I'd like to see the official notice from the FAA outlining this new mandate. Until I do, I have difficulty believing that even they could be so obtusely reactionary as to require such nonsensical whimsy. Long, drawn out briefings are not the way to go. Clear, concise and focused is a much more productive use of valuable mental focus. If each recurrent training event is not often enough to remember abnormal and emergency drills, then increase the frequency of recurrent training until it is!

Best regards,

Westhawk

Last edited by westhawk; 5th Aug 2008 at 08:39.