PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best Headset for PPL student.
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2008, 05:08
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I bought my first David Clark headset, 26 years ago, and am still using it for my primary headset, without it ever needing repair or replacement. The only change was an updated mic to reflect improving technology over time. I have bought a number of other David Clarks for passenger use.

I do not recommend the electronic noise canceling type, unless you are overflowing with money, and flying an unusually loud aircraft, it will exceed your needs. If you do go this route, I can say that I do prefer the Bose to the David Clark in this catagory, though I do have wonder about the simple toughness of the Bose in an abusive environment. I suppose that once you've spent that much money, you're careful about not abusing them!

If you ever wonder about David Clark quality, be reminded that they have made many U.S. spacesuits as well. I have recovered a number of David Clark headsetd from submerged floatplanes, whoch worked perfectly once dried out! For toughness I do prefer the metal frame models. I have no experience with the plastic frame versions. I trust David Clark quality, but I like metel better. I is much less likely to break, and can be bent back into shape if need be.

You only have hearing once around in life, don't loose it because of poor headset performance!

Pilot DAR