PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 5th Aug 2008, 01:49
james michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tid

I apologise to the mods for the work involved in cleaning the thread, not helped by my calling another an idiot, albeit a quid pro quo. It is a pity some of the valuable wheat was lost when the chaff was blown away.

GPS OFFSETS

To clarify the quote from another, in the interests of all readers understanding the GPS offset:

If everyone used the 1 nm offset everyone would still prang. Thanks for letting me know where you are which is somewhere else than where others think you are. Perhaps I'll use the same offset rule if you only let me know what side you will be offsetting, and maybe we all should add or subtract 500' just to be on the safe side.
The GPS offset recommends that VFR aircraft remain one mile RIGHT of the GPS direct track, and IFR remain ON track.

Above 5000' VFR will certainly add/subtract 500' depending on their half circle track bearing. IFR will certainly be at a different height.

So, if all follow the recommendation, there will be 500 or 1000' separation vertically and a minimum of 1 Nm separation laterally between aircraft in opposing directions. Link to the recommendation is available if anyone needs to brush up on their reading.