PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Petition for a Military Hospital
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2008, 23:00
jindabyne

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr C,

A curious response.

First, your argument concerning geographic circumstances does not hold water - returned and injured personnel under your scheme would not necessarily be accommodated in their relative's area of choice, and travel could still be an issue. Aside from that, we live in a small country, and I think that visiting 'problems' are very far outweighed against the value of care for our troops in a singularly Service environment, where they are treated amongst, and by, kith and kin. Selly Oak or Edinburgh - so what. But Wroughton would be better!

Second, the now defunct and excellent Service hospital organisation was not predicated, in any way, with rank or status: it was based on need, regardless of any social 'perception'. I was a Wing Commander, and had the experience of in-hospital treatments, orientated towards my return to a specific miitary duty, many miles from home, among all other ranks and sexes. What is your point?

The real point is that the Labour Government (started by the Con) has raped its Armed Forces of proper care and attention, and I suspect that it did so without too much protestation from those that should have done so from within the 'ranks'.

Some may say that it's now too late to reverse things. I, and judging by many thousands of others that are contributing to the Downing Street Petition think otherwise. Our Armed Forces deserve dedicated hospitalised medical care in a military environment. The NHS, by my own recent experiences, is excellent: but it cannot cater for the Military's treatment, care and rehabilitation. A fundamental established since the Boer War.

A dedicated hospital environment for miltary personnel was, until recently, a cornernstone of Governnment policy for the last 70 years: in my view, other than a needful slimming down of assets, there was no cause for a shift in this direction. It is a traversty that, given the present commitment of our troops to active srvice on several fronts, our dedication to their welfare should be so diluted. Shame on us all.

Last edited by jindabyne; 4th Aug 2008 at 23:28.