PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus 320
Thread: Airbus 320
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2008, 16:44
Guttn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossunder, I agree 100% with you regarding the unions` needing to set their collective foot down. IFALPA should have this as one of their highest priorities, so they themselves can keep the upper hand in company negotiations and such. But, as long as it is the individuals, mostly straight out of flightschool, who are fed "this is the way it works, and your ticket in" who are conned into paying for a rating, and subsequently linetraining, then things are never going to change. As dushi mentions, it is the rating (which rating?) and 4500 hours that got him his job. Dude! It took you 4500 hours to get a descent job?!?!?! Please tell me it`s a DEC position.

There are different kinds of pilots; those who are always looking for "one up" regarding size (maybe status, maybe personal wishes) and there are those who like to stay put since their T&Cs are totally acceptable. Good union negotiations are the cause of the latter.

Take a good look at what is happening now though. A lot of low-co airlines are facing bankruptcy, despite the fact that they claim to keep costs at a minimum. Pilots have paid their way in, and will have to pay once again when they are forced to find another job. Bad circle. More traditional airlines are still going strong, and unions are negotiating good T&Cs for their members. Of course this doesn`t apply to every single airline, but look at the Scandi market. SK, LT, WF all have received better T&Cs this year. DY was ok until management fronted a "voluntary 10% pay-cut in return for future stock options" (that is IF the company survives long enough. Tell me what kind of union would accept this kind of proposal? Maybe one where they have all paid for their jobs and now have to put their balls to the wall once again to have a chance of staying afloat?

Crossunder, yes something is terribly wrong