PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2008, 15:48
littlehobo75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-Lasik prescription

I have recently passed selection for a position as an ATCO with NATS. However I failed my medical as my eyesight was -6.5 in both eyes in 2006 before I had LASIK. I am now 6/6 in both eyes and have been since treatment.

I understand what the requirements are, but was told to go through selection anyway as it would be treated on a case by case basis. It turns out this was not the case and NATS actually have a more stringent requirement than the CAA and pre-LASIK vision must be greater than -3.5

Does anyone know why, clinically, pre-LASIK prescription is even a requirement where current treated vision is stable. I cannot see any medical justification for this. It is interesting that the FAA and Australia's CASA feel the same way. I appreciate that they may want to discourage people from having the procedure purely to pass the medical, although this is a matter of choice. Luckily my local MP and cabinet minister agrees and is taking my case to the CAA for an answer, but I would be interested to know others opinions.

Also, if there is anyone in the same positon, contact me, I think the more people that question this, the better!