PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand - Training Schools and Job Prospects
Old 4th Aug 2008, 14:51
nuthin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many in the training industry cried fowl when helicopter training went to full funding in 2002.
Those names include the Harveys,Spencer Bowers etc. They sent formal letters to Steve Maharey or whoever in government.
They suggested a military type application process or self funding of PPL.
They followed this up two years later with more data proving that the jobs were not there and something like 85% of funded CPLs never renewed their medicals.
Eventually they gave up I guess and thought the industry would eventually adjust itself.
You should remember that in order to provide full funding the helicopter training provider has to have an "apporoved course" from the MOE.
Thats why Massey and NMIT are there patching on a few management/HF/POF/etc. papers to make it approvable.

Now who does the MOE listen to when it needs advice on this debacle?
Those in control of the big universities and flying schools that are training most of the pilots.
Classic lobbying of politicians people.

The FW side of all this does have some small justification, indeed its Air NZs unofficial cadetship program. They are very resistant to any slowdown of student loans. But helicopters? your all right, its been done completely the wrong way.

Myself I saved money overseas and returned to NZ in 2002 to start training and used half of my savings and half on the loan so I could invest in property which at the time was booming. That has payed off a good portion of the loan and Im glad I did it.Thank you the Nanny state of NZ!