PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum Instruments For IFR/IMC
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2008, 12:52
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like I have hit the nail on the head and got you thinking about this!

I did not in any way criticise you or the way you fly but just suggested that you look at things from another viewpoint and examine the way you are (or are not) using the information presented to you and the value you place upon it.

To think that the ADF will tell you that an FMS has packed up before the FMS will tell you its self is deeply flawed thinking, it would seem that you are tuning the ADF as some sort of safety blanket without thinking of the limitations of the system. Map shift is very unlikely with a modern FMS and almost imposable to correct with out a good position fix and ADF simply would not give you such a fix, VOR/DME is just about up to this.

So the bottom line is that the ADF points (sometimes) at something that is (sometimes) useful but is subject to all sorts of errors (at random) so I like you tune the thing each approach in line with company SOP,s but it is not the source of much in the way of useful or reliable information. So why are we bothering with ADF in this day and age?

However the way you seem to snap back at another view on the subject seems to indicate a mind that is already half closed to another view of the way aircraft can be flown, remember that the worlds biggest user of aircraft no longer requires ADF for IFR flight.

Last edited by A and C; 4th Aug 2008 at 13:32.