PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2008, 11:55
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 466 Likes on 246 Posts
Walter,

As I have pointed out to you on more than one occasion in the past, SH crew do NOT fly at high speed whilst searching for a landing site, either ground led or not. Especially in marginal weather. To approach at high speed goes against the very basis and logic of helicopter operations; either routine military, special ops, or civilian ops.

I don't think for one moment this is what they were trying to do. This one fact makes nonsense of your theory that the crew were trying to locate a point on the Mull and land and were led astray for reasons unknown, accidental or deliberate.

There are a number of other possibilities, as discussed here over many years.

The one thing I do agree with you about is that there was malpractice by persons on the ground. This was not by men in green or black, on the Mull, but by senior officers who recklessly insisted that the Mk2 was flown in any capacity on that fateful day. Especially in view of the concerns of the crew involved, other crews who had been required to operate it both in NI and in the Falkland Islands and most particularly by the Boscombe Down test pilots, who refused to fly the type any more (theoretically preventing its use by the RAF) until the issues over its safety had been resolved.