PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - List your childhood model collection
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2008, 10:58
Evanelpus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back in the early '70's, me and my mate Nigel had just about every one of the 1/144th scale Airfix Airliners going. We painted them in 'real' airline c/s by hand - remember this was in the days before endless decals became available, even if they were, they were beyond our means.

Both of us used to have an airport built in our bedrooms with buildings, taxiways, the works. I'll always remember the day he had just finished an El Al 747, it took him ages to paint it. I took it on a flight to my house. We used to ride our bikes and hold the plane at the same time. I think you're already guessing where this is going....you are right.

I was cruising down the hill on the final approach to my house and this poxy cat shot out from nowhere causing me to have a fatal stall in flight. I hit the deck (still holding Nige's pride and joy in one hand) only for the bike to trap the fingers of the other hand causing me to release the model. I watched in slow motion as the bike flipped over my head and landed straight on the 747, smashing it into many pieces.

After I was patched up, the next day the accident and investigations department (Nige, he had taken on a new role) inspected the scene. Amongst the blood and skin fibres on the ground, he retreived an exhaust cone from No4 engine, and an undercarriage door. All of the bits were taken to his hangar (his homework desk next to his airport) and they were meticulously put together in a bid to determine the cause of the accident.

He came to the conclusion that it was pilot error, bloody typical! After a thorough investigation, I was banned from 'flying' (well, with his models anyway) for 2 weeks.