PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PVR = Half Flying Pay!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2008, 06:44
moosemaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr C
moosemaster - your post is just generally insulting to the incredibly resourceful, capable and vastly broad-skilled backbone of the ground Trades I have had the pleasure to work with. I take it you have never worked with Caterers, Suppliers, MTDs, Adminers etc.

Originally Posted by Moose
man-management and project management can be taught, easily. The ability to think outside the box cannot. Self motivation cannot be taught. Self discipline can be taught, but why bother when applicant A has already proved they have it.
I don't know whether you equate 'proving it' to being NCA over NCO. I also don't know whether you equate the incredibly tightly regulated world of aircraft operations to the far less rigid and creative world of ground Trades, but the latitude, breadth of thought and downright low cunning I've had the pleasure of witnessing over the years are beyond reproach. These people perform minor miracles on a daily basis until it becomes the accepted norm. You evidently have no concept of the breadth of knowledge and experience needed to be a good NCO.
I see we have resorted to mud-slinging.

You may have noticed the text BEFORE the part you quoted.

Originally Posted by ME
In the eyes of a normal employer...
but why let what I actually said get in the way of a good rant eh?

You may also have missed the subsequent post.

Originally Posted by ME
Re-reading the post it sounds as if I am dissing groundcrew.

I am not.

Knowing both sides of the fence as I do, I reckon it should be possible for all service leavers to increase their earnings.

I was merely stating that it might easier for an aircrew mate to do so by changing direction, whereas a groundcrew mate may be able to increase earnings while remaining within the same field.

Nothing more, nothing less.
But again, let's ignore the facts and have a good old dig.

In reply to your last paragraph, I actually equate "proving it" to having been successfully employed within HM Forces, regardless of trade. I have worked with many ground trades over the years and found the majority to be extremely competent and resourceful. Traits which I'm certain employers look for and appreciate and the reason why I think every service leaver should be able to find decent employment in the civvy world. My statement about choosing someone who has "proved it" was referring to a service leaver over a civilian. It was not intended any other way.

It's not as much what I say, but how your mind interprets it, and you seem to have a few insecurites there my friend.

Originally Posted by Mr C
You evidently have no concept of the breadth of knowledge and experience needed to be a good NCO
I bow to your obvious superiority Mr C

Jayand, I think we may be on the same page here.

I fully agree that groundies will probably find it easier to get employment within their chosen fields, and that remaining within your personal RAF field may not prove viable in civvy street for you.

I would re-iterate that service life will have provided you with enough tools to allow you to change direction if you choose to do so.

Trust me, there are opportunities out there, if you can find them.