PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - love norway want to work there!!!
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2008, 04:05
Norsk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is very hard for foreigners, especially those of non-european background (not Caucasian) to get jobs in Norway. Although Norway is relatively peaceful and friendly there's an underlaying fear of those who are different, especially those who "look" differently. There are so many stories in the newspapers about well-educated foreigners (not Caucasian), people with PhD's, MD's, engineering degrees etc. who are unable to get jobs in Norway, even if they speak the language perfectly. This is because many Norwegian companies are managed and run by people who are incompetent and are unable to see people as a resource, regardless of race and national origin. Add to that being a female and maybe a different religion. Here in the US there are specific laws against discrimination based on race, religion and cultural background and we are all immigrants here, more or less. I have been hiring pilots in the US for 10 years but let me tell you that there are obstacles here too. When I started hiring pilots for my airline I looked for the best qualified, regardless of sex and race. When I started hiring well-qualified female and black pilots the members of the "good ol'e boys club" freaked out. Anyway, expect obstacles as Norway has a piss-poor record in regards to fear treatment of qualfied, foreign labor. Add this to the other replies you got here and think twice about it. Its not impossible but difficult. Good luck!