PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2008, 01:25
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm required to wear a helmet, and I have one with CEP (communications earplugs) installed. I also have a lightweight in-the-ear headset and a few DC and custom-made headsets I've acquired over the years. I've found that the helmet is actually increases the noise level. I can remove my helmet, leaving the CEPs in my ears, and the noise level drops. The helmet seems to amplify, or at least concentrate, the noise, making it rather loud even with the earplugs in place. I would never wear one by choice, because they're heavy, loud, and incredibly hot when sitting in the middle of a blacktop road in the middle of a Texas summer, and even when flying at altitude. Perspiration literally rolls off my head, and the discomfort and distraction outweigh, at least for me, any potential injury avoidance, and indeed make an accident more likely because of the higher noise and discomfort levels, with the accompanying distractions. I have no quarrel with anyone who wants to wear one, but I hate the g*****n things. I wore one for years in the military, and hated them then, but that hatred has only increased as the years pass.