PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pending clearance??
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2008, 14:19
NOSIGN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highlighting only the " *denotes pilot transmission " in the AIP phraseology section has helped with my radio calls, with emphasis on the " ( ) " required transmission and " [ ] " optional information.

In my opinion, if you're flying RPT or charter, you are being paid to fly professionally and safely. The regulators have created procedures on how to maximise your chances to achieve this

"Use of standard phrases for radio telephony communication
between aircraft and ground stations is essential to avoid
misunderstanding
the intent of messages and to reduce the time
required for communication"

A question for the ATC reading...

AIP states that when initiating contact with approach control in a radar identified environment transmit

assigned level, flight conditions, if appropriate, and receipt of ATIS (code)

What do I say regarding to flight conditions? In a procedural environment, I expect to transmit the word VISUAL if a visual approach can be made. In a radar environment, I expect to transmit "IMC" or VMC" only if requested to report. Is "flight condition, if appropriate" a request to report IMC [VMC, if appropriate]?

And another one...

During taxi - cleared to taxi A2, upon frequency change from GND to TWR, twr often say hold short. If A2 was my taxi clearance limit which I am now approaching without any other holding points along the way, shouldnt ATC say "hold position"? I'm not being too anal; I want to know whether i'm holding or holding short.

NOSIGN