PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 6
Thread: Ryanair - 6
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2008, 08:09
eu01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bashing or trying to improve?

Almost perfect in saving measures, MOL has undoubtedly created the airline that can offer the unbeatably low-prices and by selling cheap flights is stimulating some additional demand. That's why I'm backing up the whole idea of low-cost air travelling. People spend less money for their flight tickets and spend more in the destination (helping local businesses and stimulating their growth). People should travel; it's fun, it's educating, it gives people some tonic, and due to the very existance of low-cost carriers for the same amount of money they can travel more. Regardless of the environmental issues, the air travel as a public transport should be preferred over the long-distance car travel. I would reserve some scanty oil resources in the world for all kind of public transport, including leasure flying, and I'd limit at the same time the too-intensive usage of private cars (if you asked me).

FR-bashing, as you call it, has indeed its good reasons too. One should try to influence the ways of doing the business. Flying cheap should not be associated with a cattle transport as many people still think. Unfortunately, FR does very little to change this picture. FR is not as crappy as the opinion of some critics expresses it. Maybe it's not crappy at all, being at least very efficient and punctual as well. But its CEO's rubbish talking (involving his people too), some unnecessary fights with the competition, local institutions and politicians, also the "bull****" opinions to the press make rather harm, not helping anyway to improve this image. MOL recalls me sometimes a boy having his toy soldiers and playing with them, planning wars. Look at all these routes commenced just to harm the competition. It's also a place where big amounts of money just burn. Do they have to dominate everything everywhere [especially on the Isles]? What for?

MOL is smart as an economical opportunist who was able to struck some good deals with giants like Boeing at the first place and others as well, including some airports, local communities, tourist industry and alikes. He is talented while negotiating with weaker ones or where he can pretend to be a strongman. But no matter how that kind of negotiating attitude can be percieved by others, he was able to make use of it and he did create a prosperious airline. There is an obvious niche for Ryanair and alikes at the market (quite a big one) and people will keep travelling with FR if it countinues to be the cheapest one.

MOL is brilliant in savings and keeping the costs low, that's why Ryanair still needs him. However, he is not equally good in his perception of the carrier's relation to the customers (paying attention to their cultural differencies), the route policy, travelling system, marketing and sales, to mention a few. We, critics, have on this forum alone presented many ways of improvement, how Ryanair could fill the planes without necessarily giving away flights for one pound/euro, or whatever the price is. Ryanair is in the need for a new strategy as a popular airline. As any coherent new vision simply does not exist, it's hard for us to keep quiet. Should we?