PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - pilots' jargon and slang
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2008, 07:02
xolodenko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanx for everybody's feedback guys!

K.Whyjelly, thanx for giving me the right word for how you refer to pilots' slang. I will make sure I'll use this one next time I post a thread with a question about slang on an aviation forum (I aroused similar confusion over my question when I posted a thread like this on Airline Pilot Central Forum, so I think if I had written "banter" everyone would've understood what I was after).

SNS3Guppy, I know the official meaning of ETOPS, sir, and I am more interested in unofficial ones like the ones I listed in my examples.

parabellum, thanx for your elaborate reply. I am fully aware that slang is not allowed in ops situations and must be invariably avoided. What I was asking for are the words you use when you chat with other pilots in non-ops situation like on a message board like that or in a pub or in a hotel room. But since you've mentioned that you pretty much use the same standard and official terms in non-ops situations as you use in ops, now I realize that the share of "banter" in the entire pilots' vocabulary is not that significant as I thought it was and there's little reason to explore this any further.

I've actually come across the examples I've listed while surfing thru the aforementioned US pilots' forum so I dare to assert they are not as nonexistent as you said they were

Me being an interpreter, my interest in "banter" is purely linguistic, not practical and I am collecting such words not to make an impression (since I can't think of a situation in my job where I could make use of them and even if there was one I would not use them coz folks for whom I usually interpret are not pilots and they will never understand those)

HOMER SIMPSONS LOVECHILD, could you please "decode" that one for me for errh...merely linguistic purposes?I can understand some bits like "Scarebus", "fat dumb and happy" and....well.. "severe clear" is something about clouds...that's about all I can decode ^)