PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Media Paranoia.
Thread: Media Paranoia.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2008, 00:22
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flaps_five:
As an Australian having lived in the UK, I agree, the UK press would sell their own grand mother.......and then resell her again......just to get a story.....any story.......so long that it is negative to give maximum effect...
Lest we forget though, it was an Australian who pioneered that kind of journalism in the UK, and made such a success out of it that the rest ended up following suit just to compete in the sales stakes. Said Australian's been working the same black magic on the US media for the last 15 years too...

sevenstrokeroll:
the brits call afterburners "reheat".
I hope you'll forgive us Brits that, after all the concept was invented here (or possibly in Germany, pending full release of captured Nazi documents).

And Pugilistic Animus - not to speak ill of the dead, but Tim Russert spent the last 8 years of his life unapologetically carrying water for the Bush Administration and even provided an uncontested forum for Dick Cheney to tell bald-faced lies to the US public, for fear of losing the White House access privileges that helped pay his wages.

My tuppence is that there are good and bad journalists just as there are good and bad pilots, engineers, or any profession you care to name. Given the current trend for tabloid journalism that ratchets up sensationalism in the name of pushing up the price of advertising space, or indeed the spectre of the case of Glen Stewart, it's not surprising that pilots are very wary of inaccurate media reporting. However I do think that the bunker mentality of some on here is very counterproductive sometimes.