PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can anyone enlighten me please?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 17:56
gdiphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
End of August 1978 I was flying on a BA 747 from Singapore to LHR via Muscat. It was on takeoff from Muscat just at the point of rotation that I noticed flames coming out of the left hand inner engine followed by a very large bang which shook the aircraft and quickly followed by a sinking feeling as the aircraft seemed to level. This must have been in fact a change of pitch of the aircraft to a very shallow climb. All this was at midnight local time. Passengers were now very awake. The cabin crew were not allowed out of their seats for 40 minutes and when they were allowed up they looked white as sheets. We were not allowed to unfasten our belts. There was a short announcement from the flight deck that there was a problem with an engine and we would be landing in Bahrain shortly. We landed fast and hard and seemed to be surrounded by fire engines. We taxied to the gate and were put up in a hotel for a couple of days. The rumour in the hotel was there had been a broken fuel line, but I have no idea if it is true. In my opinion if you fly with reputable airlines you will be as safe as is possible. I unhesitatingly fly with BA from a safety point of view despite the alarming incident I mentioned. Research your carriers to put your mind at rest is the approach I have always taken. Also tell the cabin crew of your nervousness and they will be most helpful in my experience of flying with my sister who is extremely scared of the whole process.