PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwind landings
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 15:58
Pilot DAR

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Hey @v8ter,

It would apper that if you're flying AG, or ILS approaches in the airline industry, and the Chief Pilot has told you that it is the desired company procedure, the downwind landing, cautiously undertaken, is probably just what the situation calls for.

If you've been entrusted with a 172, and you're just out enjoying yourself, and practising your piloting skills, downwind landings are best avoided, in all but the most extreme circumstances. Save the aircraft owner the added wear on the tires and brakes, the cost of early rebuild of the oleo and firewall fittings following the shimmy resulting from the higher than normal nosewheel touchdown speed. Save yourself from having to explain to the insurance adjuster why you just shot off the side or end of an otherwise suitable runway while not making the best use of the prevailing conditions. It's just not worth it!

I recently watched a very experienced C172 pilot take off from my 2000' runway, downwind, uphill, and toward 50' trees, with no suitable forced landing area beyond. His alternative would have been to takeoff into the wind, downhill, toward a half mile overrun, with no obsticles, and several good fields to land onto if need be. He did save the time to back track the runway though... He made it okay, but even a hiccup, and he'd have been into the trees, and wrecked a new 172. How do you explain that to the boss? He's a big boy, he can make his own decisions, I'm a big boy, and I make mine. Into the wind all the time if at all possible....

Pilot DAR