PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Special Engine failure departure
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 15:42
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are we talking about the same Jeppesen Joe Monsoon?

One of our 4 major divisions use Jep data, and a direct quote from the briefing for their Airport Analysis follows -

"Heights and distances of all obstacles considered along the straight out track or the prescribed special engine failure route up to 30nm are shown at the bottom of the tables"

Unfortunately, yours truly flys for this division (but does the Performance Engineering for other divisions), and am well familiar with possible forays into "no man's land" at the end of the survey limit.

At 22nm, many aircraft at limiting weights will only be partly established in the 3rd segment. In the work that I do (for the other divisions), it is not uncommon to see the 3rd segment end beyond 30nm.

If I have a "rush job" for a new destination, I frequently resort to the use of Jep data to get me to the first 30nm, then my work starts in earnest to evaluate the obstacles beyond that to ensure safe tracking and vertical clearance up to the MSA. I encounter numerous cases where using the Jep data alone would be a recipe for disaster.

Best Regards,

Old Smokey