PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwind landings
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 14:00
Norm Sanson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I'm with HarleyD on this all the way.
I believe I have the runs on the board to comment, after a long career in GA, and also the airline scene, where downwind landings are more common than pilotDAR seems to think. Even ILS approaches at major airports can guide you to a downwind landing for a variety of reasons.
The first defence in a downwind landing is to know that you are landing downwind. It does require a different "approach" pardon the pun, due to the "reverse effect" of windsheer, as HarleyD mentions, which relatvely few pilots seem to understand. Adding speed for gust factor works into wind, as your groundspeed is reduced anyway, therefore reducing stopping distance, which is what we strive for. In a downwind situation, if windsheer is not present, you can safely fly at your minimum approach speed. If windsheer is present, it will result in an INCREASE in airspeed, which will only add to your "float" distance, the last thing you need, as your groundspeed is already higher. Therefore, an approach at minimum speed is the answer, do not add gust factor.
And if you have GPS, keep one eye on that, on short final, to assess your groundspeed. A go-round option should always be kept open.
Happy landings