PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwind landings
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 12:50
Pilot DAR

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Harley,

I do not doubt that there are many very well planned and purposeful operations downwind, though as even you point out, they are "special" operations, for which some justification may exist. They are probably done in a runway environment, where "other" pilots are not a concern. I do not believe that a Cessna 172 pilot asking a question on how to do something which the flight manual would not recommed, is necessarily best served by a detailed description of advanced AG operations. If the question were being asked by a self described AG pilot, who needed advice as to how to get 3 more loads out in his work day, then perhaps your advice would fit.

You yourself describe the fact that you offer training for taildraggers in challenging conditions. That's great! I'm sure that you actually have the student in the aircraft with you, so you can assess their progress, and limit what they attempt until they are ready. Advice offered into cyberspace, to a person of uncertain intent may have a different outcome.

I am intriuged by the type of operations associated with "Air America" type runways, but as I said, they are not common. If @v8ter is operating a 172 out of such a place, I'm thinking that he/she already has some approriate training for that environment, which certainly would have included tailwind operations. The fact that the question was asked in the first place makes me think not.

I concede that I have zero hours flying AG, it's just one of those aspects of aviation which never crossed my path. I also concede that I have landed downwind out of pure lazyness, and sometimes thought better of it afterward. I would eagerly enjoy more taildragger training, as I like to learn whatever I can. Fortunately a taildragger endorsement in not a requirement on my license. Were it to be so, my extensive trouble free flying on a dozen or so taildragger types over the last 30 years would probably have me close to qualifying for the endorsement. The insurance companies seem happy with me on those aircraft.

There are lots of things I have done, and some things I regularly do in both my tricycle and my taildragger, which I would never describe here, for fear that a reader might attempt it. I do in some cases, demonstrate these to another skilled pilot who wants some advanced training, and I have left a few instructors with surprised smile on their face after taking them for a ride, with some new handling twists, in their 172.

We all have valuable skills in aviation. I suggest that sometimes, NOT sharing with pilots of unknown experience may be one of those skills.

Keep up the safe, and apparently highly productive, flying. I will enjoy adding your flying tidbits into my skill set as is appropriate.

Cheers, Pilot DAR