PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frenzied passengers on BMI charter flight at palma
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 11:30
John R

wiggy, no I do not expect an immediate answer from the crew, which is why I disagree with the approach taken by getoutofmygalley.

Where I do think there is a problem is when no explanation is given (a missed approach / go-around, for example, which is not explained by flight crew once the aircraft is stable will lead some passengers to think the pilots made a mistake). As a regular flier, I have seen this and willed an explanation which never came!

Let us be clear: I do not for one moment condone the actions of these passengers, which if true were utterly dangerous and irresponsible.

All I am saying is that these are probably perfectly sensible people who when put in a very unusual, perhaps frightening situation will behave in the most primordial way to protect themselves.

Let's remember that not everyone knows about V1 and the sterile cockpit rules!

The majority of cabin crew do a fantastic job, but in my first post I mentioned incidents which I have witnessed first hand and which do not inspire me with confidence.

One final point: if you're an officer on the flight deck, and especially if you're the captain, you are still ultimately responsible for the actions of your cabin crew, non?