PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone here claimed their MECIR??
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 03:04
krankin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone here claimed their MECIR??

Morning all,

Before i get told to search, i have!!

I am doing my tax return and the reply to the question of can i claim the MECIR is "its a grey area".

I am a multi IFR driver now but was working as an instructor at a flying school prior to this job. Whist i was instructing i was working part time for my current organisation on ground ops etc... I then began my MECIR and got it early this year. (my point being i was already employed at my current organisation BEFORE i began the rating). Since gaining the rating i have been driving the twin IFR and left instructing.

Now, according to the ETAX bit in the Deductions section:

"Remember, you cannot claim a deduction for your self education expenses if the course did not have a sufficient connection to your work activities even though:
  • It might have been generally related to those work activities, or
  • it enables you to get a new job "
Im aware that a tax consultant will know but has anyone got a definitive answer here? I have tried to read the legislation but its even harder to find stuff than the bloody CAR's!!!! Now thats saying something!!

I would just say bugger it and submit it but the difference in the return is quite substantial and i reckon the tax man might have a look at me!!

Cheers.....

K