PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jersey, danger areas and crossing channel
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 00:15
Widger

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I think I need to correct some dangerous assumptions here. The Danger Areas on the South Coast are only NOTAMed when they are activated outside the times detailed in the civil AIP or to altitudes higher than promulgated. ALL the Danger areas must be considered as ACTIVE and HOT unless you are given positive clearance from the DACS unit, either PLymouth Military or London FIR/London Mil. The link early on in this thread gives some good information (I wrote it!). So you will generally only see NOTAMS at weekends or in the Portsmouth Danger Areas after 1700 or at weekends. It is correct that FOST are on holiday during August, but activity still goes on, including gunnery. There is a NOTAM, detailing which areas have been de-activated until 1 Sep.

If you want to route direct, just ask. Use the telephone number provided for flight planning purposes and then give the DACS an early call for confirmation. You might be interested to know that Plymouth Mil can see down to 1500' over Guernsey and the Cotentin, east to Selsey Bill, north to Hazel and Compton all the way west past Cardiff and the North coast of Cornwall. If you want someone to keep an eye on you, don't be afraid to call.