PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pending clearance??
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2008, 19:28
ITCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reverseflowkookaburra
At the end of the day does it really matter as long as we are getting our message across???
That sounds like an earnest question, kooka, so I'll try not to use my flamethrower in reply

The problem with "professional" pilots and non-standard phraseology is that it is a product of a lack of discipline.

Reading an AIP to get the right calls rolling off the tongue, even unfamiliar ones, is a pretty simple task. Its all in there, in black and white.

Sure, we all blurt out a dumb call every now and then.

But there is a difference between a skilled and disciplined pilot who occasionally fumbles when distracted, and the lazy b-gger that never really bothered to keep up with the requirements.

Like any other laziness, it is not just confined to one area. Show me a pilot that farts around with a basic position report, and I'll show you a pilot that probably doesnt know separation standards at "non-towered" aerodromes, doesn't use manufacturer or company standard operating procedures and techniques, etc.

And thats not just my opinion. It is what Rob Helmreich found in his LOSA project - "teams that violate procedures or make other non-consequential errors are more than 1.4 times more likely to commit other types of offences."

Helmreich RL. Culture and error. In: Safety in aviation: the management commitment: proceedings of a conference. London: Royal Aeronautical Society.

So sloppy radio work = lack of required discipline = unprofessional aviator.

And it is so simple to fix. Read the AIP and apply some discipline. Then observe improvements in other areas of your operation as discipline spills over and cleans up your act in general!