PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Catch Me If You Can - SriLankan Style
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2008, 18:16
saly4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catch Me If You Can - SriLankan Style

(Fake pilot takes SriLankan Airlines for a ride)

This is history repeating itself. Hope you can remember Frank William Abagnale, Jr. The federal government was prudent in releasing him before his full sentence was served to use him to counter frauds. I am not sure if this “new Abagnale” from Germany has other talents than forging documents and flying aircraft. The German authorities will find out and take the necessary steps. I am surprised that he handled huge AirBuses maybe better than a qualified pilot. This raises the question that whether university degrees, diplomas, certificates are the only way to judge a person’s capabilities. If there is will, determination and talent any person can become what he/she wants. There maybe rocket scientists repairing three-wheelers, chemical engineers brewing Kasippu, nuclear weapon engineers making Gul-Katas, astronomers climbing coconut trees in abundance among us. A different and a practical approach to education can find those talents and make use of them for the betterment of themselves and the world but this is the last thing we can expect from the authorities.
Fake pilot takes SriLankan Airlines for a ride -
Fake pilot takes SriLankan Airlines for a ride - From Sunday Times [I]Fake pilot takes SriLankan Airlines for a ride
Civil Aviation authorities yesterday revoked the licence of a SriLankan Airlines flight captain after it was revealed that the man was a fake, a top official said. Civil Aviation Director General Parakrama Dissanayake said the pilot, a German national, had gained employment with the airlines, producing cleverly-doctored documents.
He said the decision to revoke the licence was taken after Sri Lankan Airline submitted clear evidence which suggested that the suspect had forged documents regarding his qualifications and experience.
Mr. Dissanayake said the man was later summoned to the Civil Aviation Authority office for an inquiry conducted by senior flight officers. It was thereafter decided to revoke the license with immediate effect.
The German national joined the national carrier in 2007 and had piloted flights to various capitals, risking the lives of thousands of passengers and crew as well as many others on the ground, SriLankan Airlines sources said. They said the suspect had not only possessed a forged pilot license but also carried three different passports.
It has now been revealed that the man was not a qualified airline captain but a low ranking flight officer and not eligible to pilot an Airbus A 340.
During his stay with SriLankan Airlines he had flown the Airbus A 340 that touched down in many busy airports such as Heathrow, Frankfurt, Paris and Dubai, the sources said.