PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can anyone enlighten me please?
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2008, 16:12
BYALPHAINDIA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Willowfly, It sounds like your BD A/C - Airbus 321??
Experienced an engine surge on T/Off??

This has happened on a few occasions in the past, And there has been no major risk to the Aircraft or it's passengers.

Although it would have seemed a major event at the time, This kind of incident is practiced every 6 months in the Airlines simulators.

Aircraft can fly normally on the 1 engine, while the 2nd engine is shut down and secured.

You could say that an A/C engine surge is similar to that of a car engine 'backfiring' but obviously on a larger scale.

To date the Airbus A320/321/319 has had a good safety record, And an engine surge of the nature that you have reported is quite rare.

I can assure you that these engines are put through their testing 'thoroughly' obviously before they are certified to be sold to an airline.

The A/C that you flew on is not that old, And I would say that it's V2500?? engines have not reached their full life cycles.

The cause could also have been a 'birdstrike' which obviously cannot be pre-determined at the time, In most cases of a 'birdstrike' the engine is written off due to the nature of the 'ingestion' - 2 million.

The pilot at the time would have been fully occupied with flying and checking the A/C, And an anouncement is usually made after the A/C is levelled off and secured, It may seem ignorant to some passengers at the time though.

The A/C has to burn off the fuel due the weight, Any attempt to land with a full load could cause the A/C not to brake/stop safely, Or stop at all.

I hope the event has not stopped you travelling.

Regards.