PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frenzied passengers on BMI charter flight at palma
Old 1st Aug 2008, 13:43
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi lexxity,

Yes, it did occur to me (post #52) that a suitable PA may have been made, but I was responding to Topslide6's simplistic diatribe; and taking the original story on face value. I agree that we are labouring with limited information: situation normal on PPRuNe.

As an old fart, I think people may be less tolerant in public than in years gone by, and this probably applies to passengers and crews alike. But I think it's vital for the cabin crew to empathise with passengers even the dodgy-looking ones from the moment they board. As you settle the passengers down and later do the cabin checks for take-off, you have to inspire confidence, without being intimidating. A few minutes later, you will all be belting along a runway. And things can happen...

The one saving grace on take-off and landing is that the cabin crew have nothing to do other than watch and listen. A timely PA should have nipped this in the bud, unless the passengers were drunk and/or disorderly, which would have been spotted before or during boarding.

Chris