PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epilepsy
Thread: Epilepsy
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2008, 10:59
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote from andy sp:
Its been over a year since I have had a problem and I dont really care if I have to wait another ten years, at some point I want to fulfill my ambition to get my PPL!

I can only write as a retired commercial pilot and father of one epilepsy sufferer; not a medical practitioner. There must be types and degrees of the condition, I suppose, and treatment may be more effective in some cases than others. Since stabilised on medication, have you had an EEG? If so, was it a 24-hour one?

Understandably, you have given few details of your condition. We don't know if you've ever had a tonic-clonic ("grand-mal"), or what your complex partial seizures ("absence seizures", or "petit-mal") are like. On an EEG, my daughter's seizures could be triggered by hyper-ventilation, not by strobe effects. As a child, she used to have as many as 10 per hour at her worst, each lasting about 30 - 60 seconds, but she never fell over, as you say you do. She used to ride a bicycle, and never fell off. But in later years, well established on the latest medication, there were indications that she was still suffering very short-duration seizures that produced a lack of ability to concentrate.

You talk of waiting ten years if necessary. My daughter was stabilised on medication which seemed to have stopped her tonic-clonics completely. Then, after a period of over 9 years, she had two in a day, with little warning. Previously, at her worst, she'd never had more than one a month; always within an hour of waking.

In my very narrow experience as a lay person, Epilepsy seems to be unpredictable, and manifests itself in many forms.

Forgive me saying that, if I was a flying instructor, I'm not sure I'd want even to take up a student who, in the event of an unexpected tonic-clonic, might present me with full right rudder that I'm not strong enough to counter.