PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PVR = Half Flying Pay!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2008, 10:44
Wader2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayand
Please tell me what greater earning potential an Aeo or wsop ew / aco has in civvy street than say a groundcrew cpl/sgt?
There are a lot of jobs out there that pay a damn sight more for people with "supposedly" less earning potential than aircrew.
I can think of plenty of trades that would possibly benefit from a retention bonus, then again most people have had enough and money isn't the factor that is going to keep them!
Jayand, I think you are saying that groundcrew are happy with less pay and that non-pilots have a lower earning potential?

If any ground trade thought they could benefit from the pay and conditions as NCA, including immediate promotion to sgt, then there is nothing to stop them applying. Many however seem content not to do so. That would suggest that neither the offer of promotion nor flying pay is sufficient inducement for everone to apply.

OTOH if both rank and flying pay was removed would those currently applying to become NCA still apply? Undoubtedly some would but equally many would not. Flying pay and NCO status are clearly pull factors but how much pay and how quickly they gain promotion are manning issues which, at an individual level, are often perceived as inadequate.

I can think of plenty of trades that would possibly benefit from a retention bonus
But this is where the larger scales manning picture comes in. You may pinch locally but not necessarily elsewhere.

most people have had enough and money isn't the factor that is going to keep them!
Quite.