PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Cruise Booze makes me happy!
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2001, 19:55
atomic

Wink

Well, smoking invariably affects the non-smokers with all that smoke in the cabin. When your seat mate drinks, you usually don't get any booze forced down your throat.
Besides the fact that alcohol is a drug as many others, it is a legal one. It plays a part in most of our social interactions in our lives and it is always interesting to see that grim anti-tobacco commercial followed by that elaborate beer advertising which promises us beautiful girls, great friends and social success when we drink their alcohol, while warning us to 'drink responsibly', which is not really much different than saying 'Snort your coke responsibly'. There will be a time in the future when the tide will turn against the alcohol, I'm sure, but until then we have to cope with the current situation. A ban of alcohol on flights is not possible at this time if you look at how much it is an accepted part of daily life, even though it is an addictive drug and directly and indirectly kills a lot of folks out there.
But then consider that the airlines, especially the flight attendants do a very good job in keeping any excesses under control by not letting it get to that point and if you look at the millions and millions of passengers travelling every year, then you will notice that the vast majority is very well behaved, even after a few drinks.
So what am I saying?? Until alcohol gets a bad rep the way cigarettes did,until it gets to be socially not acceptable anymore, it will be served on flights and we have to cope with it the best we can. But I don't think the situation is that bad, is it??