PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I despise cessna 172's
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2008, 15:50
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Indeed, PA28s are more likely to float for ever than collide with the ground, strange thing to say!

Compared to what's out there, I'm afraid that I'm with my good friend Whirlybird. It's not so much a stature thing - although I'm only a little taller than her, I can at-least reach everything and just about see over the canopy. It's certainly not a safety thing - nor practicality, it scores pretty highly on both.

But it is incredibly boring, combined with a poor view over the nose, higher than necessary stick forces, and fairly average performance. This all of-course makes it the ideal aeroplane for the low hour club pilot, and best of luck to them, and I've no doubt that they get much satisfaction from it.

But there are few aeroplanes in my logbook for which I found the flying such a plain uninspiring experience. For sheer flying pleasure, I'd rather be in most microlights, even the smaller C150, or something a little more sporting like a Beagle Pup. For efficient cruise, the PA28 gives it a slight edge (certainly some models anyway) with more enjoyable handling and a bit more of a challenge on a short field.

Nothing actually wrong with it, but in most cases, I'd just rather be flying almost anything else.

G