PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joyce the new CEO of Qantas
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2008, 14:26
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Thanks Shot Nancy. Interesting numbers.

Muff, fair question. What's in it for the J* crew with a group list. The current captains? Probably very little. The current F/Os? Very little in the short term although they may like the opportunity to bid onto a different long haul (or short haul) fleet in 10-15 years time). What's in it for the QF crew? Current captains? Nil. Current F/Os? Bugger all although some would go. Current S/Os? Lots. They get the opportunity to get promotion before some person on the street. Given that they've been part of the group in a lot of cases for a few years I reckon that's OK. Keep in mind that we haven't yet drawn the line in the sand as to where the GOL starts. Current J* crew still get first access to the upgrade to captain but those not yet employed by J* with effect from (say) 1 Aug 08 will suddenly find themselves behind 2500 QF pilots in terms of the GOL. Of course this latter fact may explain why some of those not employed by J*- like Led and I think genex isn't either if I recall correctly- are so anti the GOL and pilots working together. It would mean that the upgrade they have in mind in three years time when they start with J* once they're finished with whoever they're with at the moment in 12 months time will now be behind the 2500 QF pilots and however many regional pilots who joined the group before they did. Of course they don't publicly state that but you can see it in the rabid way they attack any mere mention of pilot unity with QF mainline pilots.

A GOL does nothing for me either. I have my command training and assuming I knock it over then my life is pretty good. I see no need to consider J* in the short to medium term- unless someone makes me an offer I couldn't refuse!

So, pay and conditions then. Under a GOL you go to the pay and conditions you bid for. If I bid for a J* 787 command- once all the current J* crew have had the chance to knock it back- then I go on J* terms and conditions. If you bid for a mainline 744 F/O slot in a few years then you go on those terms and conditions.

However, personally I'd like to see pay and conditions ironed out across the group so that an A320 gig is the same as a 737 and no difference in terms and conditions between J* and QF for the 787. It may be a pipe dream but it's worth at least discussing and working towards. That may mean that QF drivers accept a little less, it may mean that J* drivers get a little more. It may mean that QF drivers get no less and J* drivers get a bit more again.