PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Cruise Booze makes me happy!
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2001, 20:30
kriskross

Imagine the scene, first revenue flight on a new charter airline. Second hand aircraft, but totally refurbished inside at considerable cost. LGW-TFS-LGW the sectors, Friday afternoon departure, returning after midnight. On the return flight, most of the passengers asleep, cabin crew had turned the lights down, a lovely quiet, dozing atmosphere in the back. Suddenly, all hell breaks loose, cabin crew rushing about taking all the fire xtinguishers they could find. A passenger had been smoking and had dropped the butt into her handbag, which set alight a lot of the inflammables that our lovely ladies like to carry around with them.
The carpet catches light as does the side trimming. Luckily, being the first flight we were carrying a number of extra Company people on the jump seats,including the Fleet Manager, lots of extra trained people to use the extinguishers and the fire was put out, but at a lot of damage to the interior. We were in that awful spot halfway between Porto Santo and Faro, a considerable time to either. I was glad that the Company went 'No smoking' very soon afterwards, but it frightened me. I was in the left seat!!