PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeppesen Airways Manual or Airservices DAP'S
Old 31st Jul 2008, 09:23
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed from ASA to Jepp when ASA changed format to A5. The ASA change meant that I could no longer fit all the DAP charts in my flight bag. Also I found the extra width of the A5 format to be less convenient in flight. The new ASA charts have (or at least had) print "bleed through" on its paper which makes some charts harder to read at night. A really good thing about Jepp is that they vary the print size with the important stuff in larger type. This is good for old blokes who really should be using reading glasses. Have a close lookm at the print quality of the two - especially in low light. Don't worry about the thin paper. Its not a problem and the Jepp system has really nice plastic covers if you are really concerned. You don't need ARC & TAC charts as a previous poster indicated because Jepp includes an equivalent. Like most guys, I get the ASA ERSA & VTC's - thats all. I prefer the fortnightly amendments. Typically its only a few pages, which is easier to do than the 3 month stack from ASA. I also reckon that Jepp tend to reprint whole sections more than ASA, so there's less piecemeal page replacement which makes it less fiddly. I think the whole Jepp system is intellectualy better thought out and unlike ASA they do field trials before they implement format changes. However, it does take learning and like ASA it has quirks. I'm glad I switched to Jepp and regret not having done it for my training. Check ebay USA for leather binders, I use 2 x 2 inch plus a 1 inch one for all my common destinations and the charts. The 2 inch binders go in a headset bag in the back and the 1 inch goes in my (small) flight bag under my knees.