PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joyce the new CEO of Qantas
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2008, 23:13
genex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tenretni

I am well aware that a union is the collective voice of its members. Have been a union member for a very long time.... and at times such as 1989 and the 19 years following, that was at no small cost....I'm not a JQ pilot but if I was I'd be still bruised from the battering and patronizing that the collective voce of QF pilots (via AIPA) has been giving their "lesser" brothers in JQ for years.

I would have thought that the simplest way of AIPA getting back in the saddle of truly wanting to represent all QF drivers is for AIPA to mount a "shock and awe" wildcat campaign to get a scope clause in the QF EBA(s) so all flying was covered by the one protected datal (from date of first joining a QF Group airline, past or present) seniority list...and this would include QantasLink and JQ as well. A 72 hour strike that grounded every jet with a Rat on its tail would be a good start to see the collective will of AIPA at work. If you were united as one then there'd be no sanctions.

Or....do nothing....except slowly work with the AFAP to build a decent single union, starting with tech and safety issues and let it happen gently, not as an overt AIPA grab for the 787 jobs and the destruction of JQ. What you need to see is that sensible pilots are able to balance and trade off lifestyle, future opportunities, pay, equipment and command opportunities. QFLink and JQ offer alternatives to the legacy model. Why force the dull greyness of uniformity on all...especially when "all" means a bunch of pilots no AIPA member would invite home to dinner?

If in addition to joining with the AFAP at a tech and safety level....and here we return to the thread....the Chairman of AIPA could ask the incoming CEO "how can the Qantas pilots best support new jobs, more promotions, more destinations and profitability?"....then you could get somewhere. That would be an act of some statesmanship. Or there's the alternative.........